I’m not a veterinarian nor any kind of health professional at the moment.. this information is for my own edification for future reference. Hopfully, it helps someone find these resources more quickly.
I first heard about Xylitol while living in Finland some years ago.. My family tree contains several Natural Health degrees and I grew up being tested heath food.. soy milk then, non-soy milk, no-meat tofu, carrot juice, wheat grass, turkey bacon, brewers yeas, you name it.
Anyhow, I was surprised I hadn’t heard of Xylitol before (we used mostly honey or our own maple syrup). I was pleasantly surprised to find a “new” sweetener made from a natural substance.
It’s only new to me apparently Xylitol was found in 1891 by a German scientist and then rediscovered during World War II by the Finns when looking for a sugar substitute.
Regardless I’m a fan of the heal benefits.. but a little while ago we had a scare when we found that Old Baily had snacked on my babies Xylitol infested waffle. It had been an hour when I found out and I ran out to see Old (maybe 5yrs) Baily laying flat on his side.. I went up to him and called his name. He groggily opened his eyes and then followed me off the porch, not all that pleased to be rousted from his nap. We’re happy to still have him, but below is some up my crash course research that made me not rush to the vet.
In short as far as I can read: onset of symptoms almost certainly would have happened in about 20-30 minutes and there should be unnatural behavior, dizziness, vomiting and the amount I we later established was quite small. My wife only put about 2 Tablespoons of Xylitol into the whole batch of waffles -perhaps 20 waffles. Currently, Baily is back at his post not scaring the moles out of the garden or frightening trespassers, but doing a lovely job of holding down a nice warm piece of sod in the sun.
Killer Xylitol – Quick Reference
This website suggests one piece of gum or a cup cake can kill a dog.
This one suggests 8-10 pieces of gum might kill a 65lb dog. Things will become bad in 15-30mins apparently.
This website suggests that 100mg of Xylitol per Kg of body-weight has been dangerous in dogs (apparently cats don’t suffer from it, our chickens haven’t suffered any affects that we can see from eating muffins and waffle scraps from our table)
This website says 1 teaspoon of sugar is 4.2g <- I supposed it would be very similar to Xylitol in volume.
So had old Baily eaten all the Waffles in the house he would likely have gotten close to digging his own little Canine grave. But for now all are safe an happy.